Trailer training
know your b from your e with topgear


Are you legal?

To tow a trailer, caravan, boat, horse box etc. over a certain weight, you will need to add Category E to your car licence (Cat B). This means passing another driving test with a trailer before you can go on the road.

Practise makes perfect

If you passed your driving test before 1997 you probably already have Category B+E on your licence. This means you don’t have to take a test before towing. However, if you’ve never towed anything it makes sense to get some quality training to ensure you are safe. It’s not as easy as it may look!

At TopGear we offer:

High quality training to test standard
Personal attention from a family business
Training options to meet your needs
DSA Approved Driving Instructors
Competitive prices giving excellent value
Quality equals success

It’s ‘B plus E’ so don’t forget the ‘B’!

To add Cat E towing trailers to your Cat B car licence you have to take another driving test. So as well as good control and handling of trailers, your normal driving skills need to be up to standard. Could you pass your driving test again? You’re not starting from scratch and we won’t treat you like a learner, but you do need to be quite precise. It can be a useful experience revisiting your driving skills and checking what habits you’ve developed.

What areas do Topgear cover with their Trailer Training?

Topgear cover the counties of Cumbria and North Lancashire with their trailer training courses. Click on one of the links to see what we can offer in your area:
Trailer Training in Barrow | Trailer Training in Carlisle | Trailer Training in Kendal | Trailer Training in Lancashire
Trailer Training in Lancaster | Trailer Training in Workington



Information for Farmers

If you’re a farmer and need to tow, contact Cumbria Farmer Network who may be able to assist with a grant towards the cost.

If you passed a car test before 1997 you’re generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes maximum authorised mass (MAM).

If you passed after 1 January 1997 you’re limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM.